adopt a pet?
Find out how to adopt a pet quick & easy
How do I adopt a pet?
Have you found the perfect pet for your family? Start by filling out an online application or stop in to speak with a WRHA representative!
• Please give our staff 24 to 48 hours to process your application. In many instances your application can be approved within minutes, however at times staff will need additional time to contact a landlord or veterinary hospital for a reference.
• All animals adopted from Wanderers’ Rest Humane Association are spayed or neutered before going home. The cost for this procedure is included in the adoption fees.
• Wanderers’ Rest Humane Association will be able to hold an available pet for 48 hours if an approved adopter needs additional time before signing paperwork and making payment.
• Adoptable pets must be considered healthy, 8 weeks or older, current on vaccines/medical care, and dogs must have received a behavior evaluation. Pets lacking this criteria will not be able to be adopted or held for any potential adopter.
• Wanderers’ Rest Humane Association staff will approve adoptions on specific a pet based on the best possible match for that family and cat or dog. Staff reserves the right to decline an adoption should they feel it not be a good match.
To make the application process smoother please ensure that you have released your veterinary records and spoken with your landlord or home owner prior to placing an adoption
Are there any adoption requirements?
The primary goal of all of us at Wanderers’ Rest Humane Association is to ensure that every animal in our charge is adopted into a lifelong, compatible, loving, safe, and healthy home. In addition, we make every effort to guarantee that those animals that leave will not produce offspring, thereby perpetuating the cycle of unwanted pets.
Please give our staff two business days to process your application. At times staff will need additional time to contact your landlord or veterinary hospital for reference. To ensure a smooth application process please make sure both your landlord and veterinary hospital are aware that one of our representatives will be contacting them.
All animals adopted from Wanderers’ Rest Humane Association are current on vaccinations, deworming, flea treatment, have been spayed/neutered, have been microchipped, will be sent with a free veterinary visit, and an adoption kit. All adopters are offered the gift of 30 days free pet insurance through 24PetWatch!
Adoptable pets must be considered healthy, 8 weeks or older, over 2 pounds, current on required vaccinations/medical care, and dogs must have received a behavior evaluation.
Adoption guidelines include:
There must be landlord approval
Pets already in the home must have a current rabies vaccination (core vaccines are recommended)
No pets will knowingly be released to an individual with a history of violence or neglect to animals or humans
No pets will knowingly be released for animal fighting or human attack purposes
No pets will knowingly be released to an individual who has previously failed to provide adequate care for animals
Pets will be surgically altered previous to leaving the building
Pets kept outside will be provided with substantial daily exercise and environmental stimulation
Pets placed into homes will have passed a behavior evaluation and have no history of aggression with humans or severe aggression with other animals.
Pets placed into homes without confinement will be contained in a manner that is both safe and humane, not including chaining for long periods of time
It is our desire that animals adopted from WRHA provide a lifetime of safe and pleasurable company. Animals new to the shelter are observed and dogs undergo a behavior evaluation to ascertain how the they will react in different situations. These recommendations based on the behavioral evaluation will be used when making adoption matches.
How to avoid picking the wrong pet?
Wanderers’ Rest Humane Association tries to make the best possible matches based on behavioral evaluations and day to day interactions. If the pet you are interested in isn’t what your family is looking for we would be happy to help you find the best match possible!
Vet Q&A: Are pets for adoption healthy?
Wanderers’ Rest Humane Association does not have a veterinarian employeed on staff and although we do our best to make sure each adoptable animal is healthy before being adopted, medical issues may be discovered after release from the shelter or before or during the spay/neuter surgery.
Please take advantage of the Free Veterinary Visit Certificate, VCA Pet Exam, and the 24HourPetWatch Insurance program!