Are you Looking to Adopt?
It is the primary goal of Wanderers’ Rest Humane Association to ensure that every animal in our charge is adopted into a lifelong, compatible, loving, safe and healthy home. In addition, we make every effort to guarantee that those animals that leave our shelter will not produce offspring, thereby perpetuating the cycle of unwanted pets.
Adoption guidelines are a framework for making decisions, but not the final deciding factor. We must acknowledge that there are many approaches to quality pet ownership. When in doubt, we will weigh on the side of the adopter unless we have reason to believe the animal will be in danger or the adoption would not be a good match.
Adoption guideline “non-negotiables” include:
* There must be landlord approval.
* Animals already in the home must have a current rabies vaccination.
* No animals will knowingly be released to an individual with a history of violence or neglect to animals or humans.
* No animals will knowingly be released for animal fighting or human attack purposes.
* Animals will be surgically altered previous to leaving the building.
* Animals kept outside will be provided with substantial daily exercise and environmental stimulation.
* Animals placed into homes will have passed a behavior evaluation and have no history of aggression with humans or severe aggression with other animals.
* Animals placed into homes without confinement will be contained in a manner that is both safe and humane, not including chaining for long periods of time.
It is our desire that animals adopted from WRHA provide a lifetime of safe and pleasurable company. Animals new to the shelter are observed and dogs undergo a behavior evaluation to ascertain how the they will react in different situations.
• Please give our staff two business days to process your application. In many instances your application can be approved within minutes, however at times staff will need additional time to contact a landlord or veterinary hospital for a reference.
• All animals adopted from Wanderers’ Rest Humane Association are spayed or neutered before going home. The cost for this procedure is included in the adoption fees.
• Wanderers’ Rest Humane Association will be able to hold an available pet for 48 hours if an approved adopter needs additional time before signing paperwork and making payment.
• Adoptable pets must be considered healthy, 8 weeks or older, current on vaccines/medical care, and dogs must have received a behavior evaluation. Pets lacking this criteria will not be able to be adopted or held for any potential adopter.
• Wanderers’ Rest Humane Association staff will approve adoptions on specific a pet based on the best possible match for that family and cat or dog. Staff reserves the right to decline an adoption should they feel it not be a good match.
Cats (6 months+) $150.00
Kitten (under 6 months) $160.00
Dogs (6 months+) $200.00
Puppy (under 6 months) $250.00
If you have a question not answered on this page please do not hesitate to call our office at 315-697-2796 during business hours.